Monday 30 September 2013

Summer 2013- meeting Andrea.

That was the highlight of my summer.
Andrea from Hungary and I have been pen friends since....we were about 13 or something.Maybe earlier?I don't remember any more.I had received a German magazine from my Austrian pen pal as a gift and at the pen pals' ads I found Andrea, wrote to her and from then on we started writing to each other.
We still communicate mainly through facebook or by e-mail.
Years ago in 1991 we met for the first time in Paris. I was there visiting my cousin with my ex-husband and she was there on a trip and we met and visited Notre Dame together.
She visited Greece last year but we didn't have a chance to meet but we managed to meet this summer for a couple of hours as she came to Thessaloniki to meet me.
That's what we did together. It was great fun!
We saw the White Tower from the outside.It's the landmark of Thessaloniki so Andrea had to have a photo in front of it.
 Then we took this bus....
...and did a short tour of the city....looking at landmarks and sights like the Communication Tower.....
 ....looking at the Thermaikos Gulf from the top of the hill....
 ...and listening to a guided tour. Bytheway the driver and guide at the bus were very kind and communicative which is a plus to the tourist.
Then we had some Frappe coffee at the balcony of  Garcon Brasserie Cafe ...I am so glad Andrea drinks it unlike all my other friends from abroad visiting Greece.
 Of course we took pictures....
and suddenly this boat-cafe passed in front of us.....
 Then hubby accompanied us to  Elliniko Restaurant where we enjoyed lots of various appetisers.

 We didn't stop talking and laughing together and it was as if I met my lost sister after many years. It was as if we continued a discussion we had left unfinished the day before!
I hope we will meet again soon and not after so many years.

5 comments:

devonseaglass said...

Andrea has changed beyond recognition, including the hair. You are still the same!

Unknown said...

Always nice to meet friends! One day!

Annuk said...

What a beautiful and heartwarming post, Ariadne! It was sure a wonderful feeling to meet Andrea again after so many years... It made me think of the time when I had pen pals too :) And it's so great you stayed in touch through all these years! You both look great, and as young as before! :)
And by the way... here's another non-Greek who LOOOOOVES to sip her frapedakia each time she's in Greece!!! (I'm actually as addicted to them as most Greeks, hahaha!)
xo

Valma said...

ho my, what a beautiful post =)
that so super you could meet again after all those years !
it seems you had a wonderful moment together
I hope for you you'll meet again very soon
you're both very lovely on the last picture :)
xxxx

Ariadne said...

Thank you all!
@Ian I disagree with you!
@Brigitte Time we meet too!
@Annuk Thank you!For all your comments!I am glad you like our coffee too!