Saturday 8 March 2014

My trip to the Peloponnese (8)- Monemvasia.

It took me some time to continue with the Peloponnese trip blogposts! I guess this part of the trip is one of my favourite parts. That's because I always dreamed of visiting Monemvasia. I always wanted a man to take me there! And at last my dearest took me there!
We left Mystras after lunch time and reached Monemvasia in the afternoon.
Monemvasia is a huge rock, a tiny island which is bridged with the mainland with a causeway.
Reaching it at last was a revelation for me.
 And here it is from my hotel window.
 Of course my felted stone had to be photographed in front of it too.
 I then walked the beach in front of the hotel to find sea glass but found very little. The only disappointment I got from the Peloponnese was the lack of sea glass on the beaches I visited.
 I looked and looked at the rock again waiting for hubby to get some rest and take me there.
 We walked hand in hand all the dark causeway to reach the village on the little island. Monemvasia means "Only entrance" and that's what it really is. This is its only way in and out of it.

 But when you enter it you think you are a princess in a medieval fortress!
We walked around the labyrinthine narrow roads and at some point we got lost!It was too dark too! So we returned to the one and only main road and had dinner at Marianthi's restaurant!

 The next morning I was eager to walk the little village again and go up the rock. Unfortunately it was overcast and was blowing heavily!
 We walked the causeway again.
 And reached the only entrance by daytime this time!
 There is a big sign that shows the form of the island. It is like a leaf on the Aegean.Can you see where the village is?
 The first house you find when you enter is Yiannis Ritsos' house. Ritsos is one of the most famous Greek poets who has received the Lenin award. He was born in Monemvasia.
 And then we started looking at the view.



 The main road!
 I spotted this lovely poster outside a shop on the main road and thought I would look at it later.

 Marianthi's restaurant was closed at that time. But the resident cats had flooded the outside of it.


 Then we reached the square.




  There is a tiny museum there.


And a beautiful church.


 With a huge crucifixion icon with an amazing story. This icon was stolen and cut in pieces only to be found a couple of years later and be repaired. What an attrocity to cut an icon into pieces.
 And we went higher up.


 Lovely nooks everywhere! This one will be my next year's Christmas card I think!




 At this point again we got lost, in fact we lost each other and I started screaming to be found but the wind took my voice away!Thank God for mobile phones!






 And this one should be a Valentine's card!

 The higher we went the better view we had of the village and of the Aegean!


 And we reached Saint Sophia church!


 There was lots of lovely grasses and plants there!





 And the cliffs were dangerous looking!






 A selfie is a must!

 And I took photos of my felted stone again!And being taken a photo while taking photos!

 We then returned downwards.


And had coffee at a cosy cafe.
 We returned to the main road. Bought some local products like soap and sweet wine liquer.
 And visited the gallery we had spotted as we had entered.





 We chatted with the painter and bought a print.
 There were lovely engravings, paintings and prints by Manolis Grigoreas,but I settled with the one that will always remind me of my visit to Monemvasia.The big one on the outside of the gallery.
Of course we had to say goodbye to this gorgeous rock and move on before night fell!

Thank you love for bringing me to Monemvasia!
The gifts I bought from Monemvasia!
A painting on wood of the rock of Monemvasia.
 A print of Monemvasia by Manolis Grigoreas that we had custom framed and now is on one of our living-room walls.!
Some soap.
And some almond sweets.

9 comments:

Vasiliki said...

Είναι το δεύτερο μέρος που θα επέλεγα ποτέ να ζήσω μετά την Σαντορίνη αν ποτέ άφηνα την αγαπημένη μου Θεσσαλονίκη. Έχω πάει 3 φορές στην Μονεμβασία και πάντα με πιάνει δέος όταν βλέπω φωτογραφίες της. Σου εύχομαι να είσαι γερή και να ξαναπάς, όσο για τις φωτογραφίες σου είναι από τις καλύτερες που έχω δει. Μπράβο σου !

Unknown said...

What an AMAZING place! I've added it it to my (very long) list of places I really want to visit. And no wonder it took you a while to post - so much detail and so many photos - thank you for taking the time.

prpltrtl946 said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful place!! I love the photos of you and your husband, so sweet! Your Rock Art is certainly having some nice photo ops, too! 8*)

Sarah in Stitches said...

What a lovely place to visit! Thanks for sharing the pictures with us :D I love that print you bought, too - I think it's perfect!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

As aqlways I found that trip post fascinating. The village is really charming. The cats made my heart melt. And is that a poinsettia growing outside?

Decor Asylum said...

Υπέροχη η Μονεμβασία. Είχα πάει παλιότερα και κάποια στιγμή θέλω να την επισκεφθώ ξανά!
Πολύ όμορφες και οι φωτογραφίες σου.
Καλημέρα & καλή εβδομάδα

zina said...

Never been in Monemvasia and I am jealous! And I never thought that it could be so beautiful even on winter time! Great pictures!!!

Poppy said...

Oh my Greek Gods!! What a SPECTACULAR place!! I would LOVE to get lost in Monemvasia, such charming pathways, houses, bistros, cafes, views, HISTORY, and magic! Thank you for these amazing photos and taking us along. I think I've found my future hiding place!

Poppy

barbara@sparrowavenue said...

Such an amazing place.
thank you so much for taking so many beautiful photos!!