Monday 31 October 2011

Halloween!

Today I gave my pupils a taste of Halloween as it is a custom not followed in Greece!
And here is a story!
About ten years ago it was just after the Christmas holidays and I came back from a trip to London with the glasses and wand of Harry Potter. It was just when the first book was in fashion and all the kids loved to read it and the film followed.
So in my first lesson to my 6th graders I told them I had been to a Witches' Convention in London  and showed them the glasses and wand.The kids loved it!
The next day, one of my pupils' mother arrived at school accusing me that I adopt witchcraft and infuse the pupils with flase doctrines of black magic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After much explanation and apologies on BOTH sides the thing was over. But after that I never again mentioned witches or anything similar in my lessons.
So imagine my surprise when I found out that the new book by the Ministry of Education for the 3rd Graders is called The Magic Book.
Moreover imagine my HUGE surprise when following the instructions of the Paedagogical Institute on what to teach to my 1st and 2nd graders this week I read that I should teach them about Halloween and even better get dressed as a witch and go to school and play trick ot treat with them etc!!!!!!!!
No I didn't dress up as a witch!
I printed out all the flashcards the Ministry of Education said I should be teaching!
 Don't you love that pumpkin? I bought it years ago!
 Witches not allowed! I assure you the photo was not blurred by me!The witch does not want to show her face!
 Some of my summer house chrysanthemums and my pumpkin!
Some pupils thought we were going to act out Cinderella!

3 comments:

devonseaglass said...

Look at what you can do with pumpkins and candles. http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?hl=en

Denise said...

I am so sorry about the state of the
economy in Greece! We have still not recovered in the US so I understand
how you feel.
Speaking of, I do hope your cold is gone and that you are feeling better!
Keep on stitching...and many blessings to you all in Greece.

Ariadne said...

Thank you for your comments!