Wednesday 31 October 2012

A long weekend away-Volos

Dear friends and readers,
I am again late in doing things and am behind in so much!Forgive me!I hope I will manage to catch up and not keep silent from my blog for so long again!
For my American readers and friends I hope you are all fine and had no problems with Sandy storm.
So my latest news.
Last weekend was a national holiday here in Greece and especially in Thessaloniki.
On the 26th is the day of the protector Saint of our city Saint Demetrius and 100 years from the freedom of our city from the Turks and on the 28th is the No Day of the Greeks against the Italians when we entered the Second World War.
Schools were closed on Friday in our city so we left after the celebrations at school on Thursday for Skiathos island after an invitation by my sea glass friend Frieda.
As boats are not frequent for Skiathos we had to spend a day at Volos, where my niece studies at University there. Volos is a lovely city with a beautiful landscape all around it.
On the way to Volos, crossing the Tembi valley.
 At Volos a beautiful balcony ceiling.
 Volos has beautiful architecture, some buildings are well preserved but some aren't.
 Its sea front promenade is excellent with lots of yachts and cafes.
 And at the port you can see fishing boats....
 and a replica of Argo the legendary Jason's boat.

 Don't you love this boat and mushroom?
 The University of Volos.
 Me on the bridge.




 Enjoying the sun and coffee at the sea front.
 Graffiti on the walls of old buildings.
 Saint Nicholas church.
 A visit to Volos is not complete without tsipouro with meze(appetisers).

Crossing to Skiathos island on my next blogpost hopefully tomorrow.

3 comments:

beachcomber said...

lovely shots! thanks for taking us with you.
x

barbara@sparrowavenue said...

your pictures and commentary are almost as good as being there: it looks so beautiful and warm
have a good time

butterfly said...

Beautiful photo's is it still hot . hugs,