Saturday 25 June 2016

Raku

Raku means enjoyment and it is a very old technique in ceramics.
Today we had the rare experience to do a Raku workshop with my ceramics class.
In fact we were students of all the years in the George Vavatsis ceramics workshop I have been attending this year.
The workshop took place at Nondas Tsigaros space at Kilkis and we enjoyed the hospitality of Nondas and his wife Zoumboulia. We really liked the place there.
We had the chance to see some of Nondas' work too.
 Very impressive!
 I had left this tealight candle holder for the raku session.
 There were many beautiful pieces ready to be glazed and enter the kiln.




 And at that point my piece was dropped and broke!Sigh!
 While waiting for the pieces to get out of the kiln we had a barbecue!
 It was delicious!
 The kiln was really hot!
 Then each piece was taken out and put in various materials and then in water.

 The results were impressive!




 My piece. I couldn't let it go so I will glue it!



 But I also brought home the rest of my pieces. Wall tiles, sea glass bowls,olive bowl, mushroom,mug.
 And last but not least my dragonfly vase!Isn't it gorgeous?
 It was a great year at the ceramics class. I learnt so much and really want to continue. We will see.
I would like to thank George Vavatsis and his assistants Ifigenia and Georgia for what they have taught me!It has been great fun!

14 comments:

beh1nd said...

Well done Ariadni!!!! Love this post; never heard of this technique before!

Kaisievic said...

Fantastic ceramic pieces, Ariadne, so sorry that your piece broke - it is still very pretty. xxx

Ο κόσμος της Ράνιας said...

Πολύ ενδιαφέρον, με εντυπωσιακό αποτέλεσμα !!!!
Μπράβο !!!

butterfly said...

Great post.

Marie-Anne said...

Ariadne, I am impressed! All those pieces are gorgeous!
Of course, as I am ignorant in ceramics, I cannot understand how the white clay comes out of the kiln with so beautiful colours! I guess they are coloured from the various 'baths' they take in the different materials...right?
How unfortunate for your piece to fall and break! I agree that you should glue and keep it.

AppleApricot Wen said...

It looks like so much fun! And you do great, yes please continue :) Beautiful art work! xx

Poppy said...

Very pretty pottery! Love your choice of colours, although, I was not surprised; we all know of your love for blue!

Poppy

Anonymous said...

Love these kinds of workshops and learn new techniques! And what a great idea to have a barbecue while waiting! Thanks for visiting my blog!

Sparky said...

wonderful ceramics , such creativity... wanted to see your emoji kitty? lol

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

You did an amazing job with your ceramics. I am especially smitten by the gorgeous tiles. Blessings!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Oh that is a shame....but the other pieces are just beautiful and the dragonfly vase is wonderful! I would have kept the broken piece as well.

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

It is fun to have a peek at your wonderful class!

Lillie said...

All I can say is amazing and fabulous. What have to have a BBQ in between.

Thalia Tzellou said...

Αριάδνη μου δεν την ήξερα όλη αυτή τη διαδικασία! Όλα τα κεραμικά έγιναν φανταστικά! Ευτυχώς που κράτησες αυτό που έσπασε γιατί ακόμη και έτσι είναι πανέμορφο!