Sunday 7 February 2016

Markings

Thank you everyone for your comments on my birthday blogpost! And for your wishes! I appreciate it!
 This Sunday the word
 Markings 
chosen by dear Ros of Mikey's mum blog for Our Beautiful World sounded a bit difficult for me.
So I looked it up to see what markings means exactly!
Here's what  Merriam-Webster Dictionary says about markings.

  • -a mark, shape, or word that is written or drawn on something
  • -a mark or pattern of marks on the body of an animal
  • - the act or process of giving a grade to a student's work


I really thought I didn't want to take photos of the third definition so I think I'd better stay in the first one as I have no photos for the second either.
So markings in this blogpost are marks, shapes or words written or drawn on something.
I recently went to the Byzantine Museum along with my ceramics teacher George Vavatsis and my classmate Efharis. Our teacher talked to us about the markings the Byzantines made on ceramic vessels and other surfaces and told us to notice all the interesting markings we could see around us in order to incorporate some of them in our future work. We are supposed to show some of these markings on the bowls we made on the wheel!
Taking into consideration that the wheel threw me out instead of my throwing bowls on the wheel I am not sure if I will manage to incorporate any of the markings / patterns we saw but still they were very interesting and beautiful.
There were mosaics
marble inlays
marble sculptures
more mosaics


clay vessels with markings on them

more marble sculptures
glass vessels which I really adore


frescoes
clay vessels
with clear markings of the wheel on them



metal work

 stone sculptures
 paintings on clay vessels
 the kind we are supposed to make
 jewelry
 pots





 metal candle holders
 more beautiful glass
 bowls







 more glass

 more painted bowls
 icons with markings of old age










 church parts
 embroidered church gowns
 I really admired the detailed painting on this icon


 porcelain

metal work
It was a great visit at the museum.
 Followed by coffee at the museum cafe Terra Antiqua
I wonder how all those
markings 
and impressions will end up in my vessels. We will see!
You can share your own blogpost at Our Beautiful World too.


12 comments:

Ο κόσμος της Ράνιας said...

Πολύ ενδιαφέρουσα περιήγηση !!!!
Σ ευχαριστούμε Αριάδνη !!!!

Ros Crawford said...

See? When you look they are everywhere! What a terrific array of markings! Enjoy your day...

MindSpinFabrica said...

Μπράβο! Πολύ ωραίο ποστ με ωραίες φωτό. Πράγματι τα μουσεία με τις συλλογές τους είναι μεγάλη έμπνευση για τους χειροτέχνες και ιδίως για όσους ασχολούνται με κεραμικά.

Sharon Fritchman said...

I love your photos taken at the Byzantine Museum!!! Wow! Lots, and lots of examples of markings! They are spectacular!

GalleryJuana said...

Museum trips are always so inspiring. Thanks for sharing what you saw!

DIMI said...

Καλημέρα Αριάδνη μου!!
Πανέμορφες οι φωτογραφίες, από τό οδοιπορικό σου,στό Μουσείο!
Τόσοι ιστορικοί θυσαυροί!
Καλή εβδομάδα!!Φιλιά!

butterfly said...

Wonderful photos thanks for sharing .
I was watching someone collecting sea glass last night on TV I thought of you.

nikol said...

Καλή εβδομάδα Αριάδνη !!! Πολύ μου άρεσαν όλα τα κεραμικά και γυάλινα του μουσείου !!! Υπέροχη τέχνη !!!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Some amazing art work here... But the glass vessels? Aww, I'm in love.

Χριστίνα Πεταλωτή said...

Γεια σου Αριάδνη!!
Το πιστεύεις ότι ακόμα δεν έχω μπει μέσα στο μουσείο; Περνάω από μπροστά, μπαίνω στο αίθριο και μετά φεύγω.

Ωραίο που σου επέτρεψαν να τραβήξεις φωτογραφίες.

Πέρασε η γρίπη σου; Καλή σου συνέχεια.

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I could spend hours in that museum, especially the section on iconography. I write icons, which is a marvelous way to achieve eunoia. Blessings!

Alexa T said...

Wonderful incursion, lovely to have a walk in to museum and see lots of interesting aspects! historical vestiges in so many items... What delight for soul and eyes!! About pottery: we have an old tradition called Hurezi ceramics (or Horezu, among others), well known worldwide, too. Great post! Thank you for sharing to us! best regards in february!